So, This Happened…

August 3, 2011 by Sarojini Seupersad

In response to my post “The Art of the American Nickname,” I received so many thoughtful, interesting and supportive comments from all over the world. This topic really struck a chord with a lot of people – how they view themselves, their names and their personal identities. I loved that all of you shared your stories with me. I think most people understood that my post wasn’t a “I hate Americans because they’re stupid” rant (I AM American, by the way, and I certainly don’t hate me or think me stupid. Uh? Wait.), but rather, it was an honest reaction to years of name-butchering from my perspective. My main point is that a steadfast denial of another culture simply because it’s too hard to understand, starts with little misunderstandings like not pronouncing someone’s name correctly or “assigning” nicknames to suit your tongue. (“Sarojini? How about I call you Sara?”) That’s the moment you stop learning, that’s the moment we all lose. That’s what I’m saying. Most people give it an honest try. Some don’t, however. And denying the opportunity to say my name is denying me. And I will never find this to be cute or funny behavior.

But, you know what I do think is funny? This crazy person (and I know I should just ignore it, but it’s too good!) left a pretty insane comment and I just HAD to share it with all of you. Yes yes, the right thing to do is be the bigger person and just forget about it and move on, blah blah blah, but seriously, this shit is amazing. I didn’t make it up, I swear. You know what? It’s so bad and cliched that someone might be playing a joke on me. First, I will post the comment in its entirety, exactly how it was posted, then I will critique it, and for some added enjoyment, I will post his (for all intensive purposes, I’m calling this lunatic a ‘he’ to keep it simple) email address in case you’d like to follow up with your own personal comments. He’s lovely. Really. Here goes:

another spoiled brat immigrant. By the way, your parents came here to steal jobs and Leprosy and all other things disgusting to the US. I dont want you in my country stealing jobs , thinking you are god’s gift because you are the new shade of brown that my white country became from all the ilegal aliens like your parents. How dare you insult my English Colonial ancestors by complaining about our names ? India ., the shit hole country you crawled out of is your country.not the US
My ancestors did not create this country for you , the nasty Indians Hindus etc who are vomiting themselves onto US soil with stolen visas etc. quit whining about how bad the Anglo-Saxons are , and go back to your own over populated caste system country.

another spoiled brat immigrant. – What? I’m an immigrant? I thought I was born here. I need to have a heart-to-heart with my mother. Or is she even my mother?! And don’t worry, Real American, where I’m from, we don’t start all of our sentences with capital letters, either.

By the way, your parents came here to steal jobs and Leprosy and all other things disgusting to the US. – My parents haven’t stolen leprosy and all other things disgusting to the US in a very long time, thank you. But jobs? Yes, they have stolen lots of jobs and then sold them on the black market. I can get you one for five dollars.

I dont want you in my country stealing jobs , thinking you are god’s gift because you are the new shade of brown that my white country became from all the ilegal aliens like your parents. How dare you insult my English Colonial ancestors by complaining about our names ? – Too easy. That shit makes zero sense. English is not this guy’s first language.

India ., the shit hole country you crawled out of is your country.not the US My ancestors did not create this country for you , the nasty Indians Hindus etc who are vomiting themselves onto US soil with stolen visas etc. – Dear Real American, Copy & Paste is not your friend etc. It’s not doing you any favors etc. and neither did your ancestors etc. who created this country, the US etc. By the way, I thought your ancestors brought small-pox infected blankets to the real inhabitants of this already-created, already-inhabited large mass of land. Maybe I’m wrong about that etc.

quit whining about how bad the Anglo-Saxons are , and go back to your own over populated caste system country. – Someone needs a history lesson, me thinks. But you got me on the caste system. That shit is wack! Again, no need to capitalize for my sake!

by the way, The US is not an Anglo Saxon country and has not been for hundreds of years. Perhaps if you weren’t so arrogant and self centered you might know that it has always been a country of many nations, mostly white. – Oh! You mean the United States has been around for hundreds of years? Which year are you using? 1776 or 1783? Oh, it matters not. In any case Anglo-Saxon is a completely accurate description of the U.S. whether you’d like to admit it or not.  Oh, and where is the Nation of White? Is it near any of the other “many nations” you speak of, like say, perhaps, the Cherokee Nation?

also remember you are negorid and not asian or white. You are darker then most black americans and yes we real Americans notice. – I’m not sure what box I should check for negorid race, but I’ll certainly look for it and definitely remember it. For sure. Thank you for that clarification. I’m also quite aware that real Americans like yourself notice the color of my beautiful brown skin, because you all look at me like you can’t wait to get near it. Believe me, I know you notice. Don’t play. You love it. And you should have used “than,” not “then.” See, the way you put it doesn’t make any sense, but well, actually, a real American would know that.

Ok, I’m done. This idiot left the username “gobacktoindia,” and the email address, americans@yahoo.com. This dude doesn’t even have a gmail? What kind of American is that?

Sorry I stole all of the leprosy!

Advertisements

54 thoughts on “So, This Happened…

1. lakshmistar says:

this whole post is incredible, but the gmail comment made me seriously laugh out loud. (sorry for the non-capitalization – don’t take it personally, i do it to everyone…)

2. Agonistes says:

I’m half-surprised he didn’t call you a communist.

3. kandangtips says:

hi…. how are you? wher my blog link? Sorry frainds……

4. writing is quite touching

5. JACK says:

I just came across your post and read it like I would read someone else’s. What caught my attention more was the negative reply above. Keep up the good work and continue blogging,.

I don’t see anything wrong with writing about how you feel about your given name. You have a right to do so coz you own and live up to that name, Isn’t America a multicultural society? Aren’t the Native Americans the first settlers? Why should race or color be a part of that “real american’s” issue? I find your post appropriate and he could just have read it and moved on. I don’t understand what his beef is. Moreover, he should go back to his English books and work on his prepositions and spelling. In a nutshell, a person’s given name is his own and it is utterly important that it be pronounced as it should out of respect for another. What’s wrong with going that extra mile to listen attentively when someone is introduced to you. As for “real american”, who and what you are is not about race, color, name or even education. It is how you treat others, it is what is inside your heart. No race or color is above anyone. We are all equal in God’s eyes so get off your high horse and live like the rest of us.

6. natasiarose says:

Who ISN’T in America to steal leprosy, is the real question here.

That comment makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

7. Sayali says:

To think that you people (people of Indian origin living in America) might have to deal with all this again and again gives me shivers.

8. Jessica says:

I laughed so hard I cried. I love your response! At the same time I really am sorry that guy was such a d-bag to you. Last time I checked we’re all immigrants, but who knows, my college history textbooks could have been wrong.

9. deehsarsiavo says:

Hahahaha, this is priceless.

10. sweetsixtine says:

Ah really great and interesting blog !! I love it ! 😀

11. CrystalSpins says:

I have five dollars…can get have a job? I don’t really like the one I have.

12. Simon Says says:

As sad as it is to see that some people store so much hate in their heart towards others, it’s invigorating to see there are people, such as yourself Sarojini, who can rise above them. Keep up the great work, I am enjoying your blog, and hope the best for you! Your critique of this poor soul’s comment had my chuckling at my desk at work. (:
    -Simon

• People can be disappointing, for sure, but in contrast to the lovely messages I’ve received from people life yourself, that one message doesn’t make a dent. I can’t even worry about the rantings of a madman, y’know?

I’m glad I could bring some laughter to you while at work. Laughter at work can be a rare thing! Thanks for the thoughts!

13. belovedelise says:

wow. just wow.

I am so happy you publicly responded to this persons comment. Like others mentioned I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.

And don’t worry.. you are still the bigger person.. even with critiquing his nonsense piece by piece

14. Melchiorre Fina says:

You article on nicknames was excellent. I liked your article so much, I posted, which I rarely do. You touched on a topic that many people can relate to and shared your story in a humorous, thoughtful way. I am so tired of all the hate out there. Thanks for taking this post apart line by line and pointing out the absurdity. Keep writing!

15. Sunshine says:

First off, that dude was an idiot. Where I felt you probably should have just ignored the ignorance, I’m glad you didn’t. I was sitting over here yelling at the screen as I read myself LOL. Secondly, all the history books I’ve ever read says that the “native AMERICANS” were here first and THEN his English Colonial Ancestors came and pushed them out of the limelight. That guy needs a history lesson. Maybe an english lesson too. Keep writing, and I’ll keep coming back!

• Thanks a bunch! We’re all immigrants, but some would like to deny the past. I’m not into that. I usually don’t respond to hatred or try to argue with ignorance, but that guy is special and besides, it was too funny to pass up.

Thanks for reading and for the comments. I appreciate it!

16. Raven says:

You go girl! That guy’s an idiot.

17. Listen, just give us our precious leprosy back and maybe we can forget the whole thing. Mofos are always trying to jack our leprosy…

18. HaNnAh NaNnErIe says:

Hah!! In his face.. Good one Sarojini 🙂

19. Jackie says:

Love your reply! You are my new hero!!!!! You show a class, intelligence, wit and pure overall awesomeness that the “real” American will never have… no matter how ‘merican he is….

20. I love this post and the brilliant response given.

21. You really should stop stealing leprosy. If you want some of that good-good, you should stand in line and pay for it like everyone else. The “country of many nations” does not want your particular nation (of non-white), ok?

What an idiot! And your response is great. LOL

22. alwaysrunner says:

so my neighbor came over because he heard me laughing my ass off and after a little backstory and reading your critique he’s fallen in love. one more fan for ya’ (you’re welcome)

yea no capital letters here either, hitting the shift button is hard with all the leprosy on my fingers

• Ha! How did you get some leprosy when I’ve stolen it all??? I don’t care about no caps, I just wanted him to be consistent. Some caps, no caps, caps in the middle of a sentence – pick a style dude.

Thanks for reading (and laughing!) and I appreciate the new fan so much. (I love him, too. Tell him.)

23. Hala J. says:

Sarojini — You are awesome!! And that’s all I have to say 🙂

24. shoutabyss says:

WordPress is an awesome community filled with a lot of awesome people. But even here, humans can still be found. Be wary of those creatures!

All your leprosy belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time.

25. This made me laugh so much. I had first read the post where this all began..which was great fyi. Then I discovered you’d responded to this comment! Priceless. Thanks for letting us all feel like we got to steal someone’s leprosy vicariously though you. 🙂

26. […] In response to my post "The Art of the American Nickname," I received so many thoughtful, interesting and supportive comments from all over the world. This topic really struck a chord with a lot of people – how they view themselves, their names and their personal identities. I loved that all of you shared your stories with me. I think most people understood that my post wasn't a "I hate Americans because they're stupid" rant (I AM American, by th … Read More […]

27. Kiran A. says:

Firstly, I loved your original article so much that I linked it, because I am also an American-born Indian, and you basically summed up the story of my life (or at least every school roll call I have ever experienced…including college). Secondly, I’m sorry that your article was subjected to such rampant stupidity, I guess the guy forgot the whole freedom of speech thing applies to you as well as him. Thirdly, I just have to say that it’s not like America has a monopoly on English colonial rule…can you say East India Trading Company?

Anyways, my nerd side had to speak up once I read this…if nothing else, you have the support of a fellow job-stealing leper 🙂

28. Holy shit, you rule. This was the best thing I’ve read today. You wily minx, stealing all that leprosy… hahahaha. What a wanker.

29. TJ Johnston says:

Thanks for parsing out the inanity of Real American’s rant, so I don’t have to!

Though I would like to retract my previous comment from the original post: I think “Sarojini” looks better on you than “Suzi.”

30. […] I just don’t have that much time on my hands.  But my favorite blog of hers has to be So, This Happened (Finally!)…  In this blog she responded to some highly developed ignorant person about a comment he wrote on […]

31. I loved the original article, and after reading this I have to say. You. Are. Epic! And the ‘Real American’ reminds me of a person who was once a friend of mine… he now compares me to Hitler and old cars :S Very weird I must say.